2018 Tax Documents — What to Expect, When, and From Whom

As winter melts into spring and tax preparation season is upon us, we’re here to help. To assist you with organizing details and gathering information, we’ve compiled the below checklist of dates, reminders, and tax documents. These forms will come directly from your brokerage (Schwab or TD Ameritrade) or securities issuer (AIC, Blackstone, Broadmark, CWS, FS, or InvestRes).

For Taxable (non-IRA) Accounts — Form 1099

  • By March 15th — you should receive one Form 1099 for each taxable account.
  • Amended forms may be sent to you after this timeframe if securities issuers provide your custodian with revised information regarding your account.
  • All cost basis will be reported on your Form 1099.

For IRA Accounts — Forms 1099-R and 5498

  • By February 15th — you should receive one form 1099-R for each applicable IRA account.
  • You will only receive this form if there was a reportable withdrawal from your IRA account, which most often includes distributions, conversions to Roth IRAs, direct rollovers and transfers out.
  • By May 31st — one Form 5498 is sent to you for each applicable IRA account and is simply an informational form you can keep with your records.
  • Please notify your tax preparer of any 2018 contributions to your IRA.
  • You will only receive this form if there was a reportable inflow into your IRA account, which most commonly includes contributions, conversions to Roth IRAs, direct rollovers and transfers in.

For Limited Partnerships and Real Estate Investments — Schedule K-1

  • By March 31st — Schedule K-1 should be mailed to you, as well as made available on the issuer’s website if they offer this service. (This could occur sooner, as it is sent once the issuer completes its own tax return.)
  • You will likely receive a Schedule K-1 if a limited partnership’s stock or a real estate investment was held in your account during 2018.
  • For your taxable accounts, we recommend waiting to file your taxes until you receive this form.
  • For your IRA accounts, it is not necessary to receive this form before filing your taxes.
  • If received, it should be used in addition to your Form 1099.
  • Like your 1099, your Schedule K-1 also reports shareholder income.
  • The following issuers provide K-1 copies online, which can be accessed via these links: